About Me

My photo
BC, Canada
Hello Everyone and thank you for visiting! My name is MO and I live on Vancouver Island, BC Canada. This blog is to share with others my love of nature and homemade life like crochet, gardening, decorating, flowers, art, crafts, photos and perhaps the occasional recipe as well. Please drop by frequently and feel free to share. If you would like to send me an email, my address is murmursdfa@gmail.com

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunshine today!

The sun is shining brightly today and the sky is so so blue...loving it!  I'm absolutely enamoured by my white lilac tree.  The clusters are so thick it makes the top branches look like they could fall over from the weight of the flowers. 
 
 
Had another surprise in my backyard.  Iris!
  
 
So I'm hesitating as to planting any perennials for now and wait to see what crops up on it's own. I planted some pots of stuff and the petunia had a nice showy display happening already...but then!  Two young deer ambled through my patio and just nipped off all the flowers and buds...those dirty little beggars!  We live right on a deer run...it goes across our patio area and into the wooded hill behind our place.  The deer path has been there for many years most likely.  Last year we enjoyed the new fawns. They became accustomed to seeing my husband and I back there and so they wouldn't scare off or anything if we were sitting out back.  But as soon as one of them wanted to get closer to take a sniff at my arm, mama deer steeped in and steered it away.  I have a red flannel shirt I wear when I'm out there and I don't know if it has anything to do with that or not, but even if they are just crossing in the front yard on their way to munch on the lawn, the fawns will walk towards me and will follow me.  Mama doesn't like that much at all and through what looks like telepathy to me, they turn and go back to her.  They are so interesting to watch.  I have yet to get a close up picture of them, by the time I grab my camera they are on their way already.  So I imagine one of these days perhaps we will see her with this season's fawns.  Anyways, I've had many deer encounters in my life and I try to keep my distance.  We had a small acreage in the country at one time and we had quite a nice orchard of apples, plums and pear trees.  I tried to shoo a buck out of their once and he didn't shoo away, he started coming toward me instead and so I said fine, eat my apples and plums and I just made an exit.  I've had my door bell ring like crazy and I ran down the stairs thinking 'who the heck rings a door bell like that?' Looking through the window I saw a young deer licking the doorbell...I'm not sure what attracted it to the doorbell inside our carport in the first place.
 
Think I'll take myself back outdoors and enjoy the day. I'm turning soil and removing clumps of grass and weeds that have grown everywhere.  This little backyard has been neglected it seems for quite a few years.  If I think of the big picture it's daunting, so I just take a little patch at a time and get satisfaction from getting that much done at one time.
Until next time, MO